Student Support Services
- Regional School Safety Center: PSESD offers no-cost training and support in developing threat assessment processes, using the Washington State adapted Salem-Kaiser Model. Additionally, through cooperative membership, we offer consultation, facilitation, and support for both school-based and community multi-disciplinary threat assessments on demand. Through district Safety Cooperative membership, PSESD provides a series of school safety related training as well as an annual School Safety Summit.
- Student Assistance: Since the early 1990s, the Student Assistance Prevention Intervention Services has been available in secondary schools across the region. Student Assistance programs represent a comprehensive model for the delivery of prevention, intervention, and support services. Student assistance services are designed to identify and reduce student substance abuse and more recently has grown to address student mental health through universal education, direct services, and peer leadership strategies. Services are located at various locations including contracted partner districts, CPWI coalition communities, and through a fee for service model.
- Coalition Support: PSESD is acting as the fiscal agent to two state-funded drug-free youth coalitions; Coalition for Drug Free Youth in the White Center/North Burien community (Highline School District) and INSPIRE Youth in the Spanaway community (Bethel School District).
- School Nursing: With a focus on supporting small districts, our school nurse administrator is poised to offer consultation and organize relevant training for all nurses across the region. This year, we will offer school nurse training and consultation services to charter schools as well as direct school nursing services to PSESD’s ReLife School.
- Regional Networking and PLCs: PSESD offers regular regional network meetings and professional learning collaboratives for various school professionals including school counselors and social workers, school safety staff, and district leaders in the areas of social emotional learning and student support services. Learn more about RNM and PLC opportunities in PD Enroller.
- Behavioral Health Navigator: The BHN program provides mental health and behavioral health services coordination. We are learning from schools and community providers about the structural and technical barriers for youth accessing services and facilitating the removal of such barriers, while fostering partnerships across multiple systems. As another key component of the BHN role, PSESD is positioned to offer no-cost suicide prevention, intervention, post-vention policy and procedure guidance, incident consultation, and training.
PSESD’s Student Support Services is proud to offer trainings to support ESAs with required learning. We lead regularly occurring trainings in Issues of Abuse and PESB-approved suicide prevention. We are also certified instructors for Youth Mental Health First Aid and offer this training throughout the year. See PD Enroller for more information.
We also offer specialized trainings to meet the unique needs of district partners, schools, families, and communities. We specialize in supporting learning for various topics such as youth suicide prevention/intervention/postvention, school safety and crisis response, mental health and trauma informed approaches, and community-based and school-based substance use prevention. We are happy to create a customized training to meet your needs or offer one of our standing trainings such as Issues of Abuse, PESB-approved suicide prevention, or Youth Mental Health First Aid specifically for your community, school, or district.
To learn more about or to access the services listed, or to discuss tailored support for your school, district, or community, please contact:
Minu Ranna-Stewart, LICSW
Director of Student Support Services