Regional High School Art Show
Puget Sound Educational Service District’s (PSESD) Annual High School Art Show is open to students enrolled in grades 9-12 in any public or state-approved private school, as well as home-schooled students, in the PSESD region. Artwork is judged on creativity, composition, and technique. Browse pictures from previous events on the PSESD Facebook Page. Visit the OSPI website for more information about the state art show.
Regional High School Art Show Timeline
- December 1, 2018 – January 11, 2019: Online registration open
- *January 7 – 18, 2019: Art work accepted
- January 31, 2019: Install exhibit
- February 11 – 15, 2019: Judging
- February 22, 2019: Award letters mailed
- February 12 – March 20, 2019: Art Show open for public viewing (M-F 7:00 am – 4:30 pm)
- March 20, 2019: Regional High School Art Show Reception and Awards Presentation (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm)
- May 17, 2019: 45th Annual State High School Art Show Reception at OSPI, Olympia, WA (1:00 pm – 3:00 pm)
To submit artwork
Download, complete the following forms, and bring them with you when delivering your artwork in January 2019.
Deliver artwork to PSESD at 800 Oakesdale Ave SW, Renton, WA 98057. The building will be open M-F 7:00 am – 4:30 pm.
*Alternate artwork collection sites: (Let us know your approximate arrival time.)
- January 16 – Starbucks (South Seattle); 1962 1st Ave S, Seattle, WA (Beverly: email@example.com)
- January 16 – Starbucks (Kent); 13121 Kent Kangley Rd, Ste. 101, Kent, WA (Audrey: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- January 17 – Starbucks (Lakewood); 10314 S Tacoma Way, Lakewood, WA (Meg: email@example.com)
PSESD follows the state’s guidelines regarding originality. See page 7 of the 2018-19 State Guidelines.
PSESD requires artwork to be submitted ready for display. Artwork that does not have a proper hanging device will receive a 5-point penalty. This could affect whether or not artwork is granted an award or advances to the State Art Show.
All artwork that is to be hung must have a weight appropriate line of some sort securely attached to the back. This means that tape of any kind, stick-on tabs, paperclips, or string/fishing line are not acceptable hanging devices! Not only will points be deducted, but the artwork will fall and be damaged.
Please provide sturdy back support for lightweight 2D items. Frames for all hanging artwork is best; however, small items such as a drawing or photograph could be mounted to a thick matboard or foam core so that the artwork does not bend or warp when hanging.
Contact the Art Show Coordinator if you have questions about mounting and/or presentation.
The Regional High School Art Show accepts both 2D and 3D art work including: photography, ceramics, charcoal, graphite, colored pencil, pen and ink, watercolor, acrylic, linoleum block print, silk screen, collagraph, collage, glass, metal, jewelry, chalk pastel, oil pastel, mixed media, paper, scratchboard, wood, etc. Please do not submit artwork that is not ‘for sale’. The PSESD purchases several pieces, and several pieces are purchased at the state art show.
Regional Awards (advances to the state art show)
PSESD Staff Choice (purchased for $200)
PSESD Board of Director’s Choice (purchased for $200)
Superintendent’s Choice Award (purchased for $200)
Best in Show 3D
Best in Show 2D
King County Executive Awards
Pierce County Commissioner’s Choice Awards
Washington Federation of Independent Schools
Central Washington University Scholarship Awards
Outstanding Achievement Awards