Supporting our Immigrant & Refugee Students
Every day, PSESD stands with our immigrant and refugee families.
The Puget Sound Educational Service District has a board approved End or vision of Success for Each Child and Eliminate the Opportunity Gap by Leading with Racial Equity. In the wake of executive orders issued restricting immigration in 2017, and subsequent policies and actions including the public charge rule, we recognize many students and families have been impacted. We also recognize that many more students may be fearful for the safety of their families and may come to their teachers and administrators seeking support or answers to questions. Below you will find resources to help you support students and families. While we recognize that some staff members may also be impacted and have questions, we encourage district employees to first contact their central office staff for support.
Additionally, in September 2017, the PSESD Board of Directors passed a Resolution in Support of Immigrant and Refugee Students and Families. In 2018, the PSESD submitted comments in opposition to the public charge proposal.
New Temporary Injunction Against Public Charge
On July 30 2020, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York issued a new temporary injunction against the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Public Charge rule. The order bars the implementation, application, and enforcement of the rule nationwide so long as there is a declared national emergency related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The court also issued a nationwide preliminary injunction barring enforcement of the U.S. Department of State (DOS) Public Charge rule and Health Insurance Proclamation, the first decision fully addressing these policies at Department Of State, and it enjoined those policies indefinitely, beyond the national emergency related to the pandemic. As long as the New York district court’s injunction remains in place, the public charge rule continues to be blocked nationwide.
- Public Charge Information
- Statements Against Public Charge Rule Change
- Immigration Legal Services
- General Legal Services Resources
- Reporting Harassment/Bullying/Discrimination
- Discrimination in employment, housing, others
- Resources on Obtaining U.S. Citizenship
- Resources on Public Benefits for Immigrants
- Resources on Educational Opportunities for Undocumented Students
- Resources on General Immigration Policy / Advocacy
- Resources on Workers’ Rights
- Resources for Survivors of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Other Crimes
- Resources for ICE Policies on Sensitive Locations
- California Equity Leadership Alliance