Puget Sound Workers' Compensation Trust & Unemployment Pool
The Puget Sound Workers’ Compensation Trust is a self-insured pool for workers’ compensation coverage. The Trust provides insurance for on-the-job injuries for 34 school districts and PSESD and their 45,000 employees in King, Pierce, Skagit, Snohomish and Whatcom counties. Services Districts receive professional claims management services to help injured workers return to the workplace. At the same time, Trust staff work with the employer to assess workplace safety and implement effective loss control programs. Participating school districts own the Trust, with all premiums building equity to help offset costs.
The Workers’ Compensation Trust provides the following key services:
- Claims Service: Individualized claims management, a return-to-work program, and one-on-one contact with member districts and injured workers. Claims Consultants’ caseloads are low to ensure quality customer service.
- Loss Control Services: Training and services such as on-site assessment, consultation, and assistance in implementation of safety programs; support in developing an effective accident prevention program including loss control and safety policies, procedures, and programs.
- Costs historically lower than the only other option, Labor and Industries.
- Excellent claims management and cost containment.
- Loss control services through employee/employer safety program consultation.
- In-house CPA for preparation of financial statements and investment of funds.
- In-house industrial hygienist to provide an array of technical analysis and assistance.
- Online claim review.
All school districts in the greater Puget Sound region can apply for membership. The Trust conducts a feasibility study to determine if membership would be beneficial for both the school district and the Trust. The final decision rests with the district’s school board and the Trust Executive Advisory Board. The Trust Advisory Board consists of nine member-district representatives elected by the district trustees. The Board meets quarterly to review current issues and operations.
PSWCT Claims Main Phone Line: (425) 917-7638
PSWCT Billing Main Line: (425) 917-7654
PSWCT Membership Information: (425) 917-7775
The Puget Sound Unemployment Pool provides school districts with a responsive and coordinated program of self-insurance for unemployment compensation.
- Management of unemployment claim milestone events including benefit charges, refusal of work, over-payment and fraud
- Representation through review, hearing and appeal process
- Regulatory and compliance management
- In-house legal counsel
- Risk reduction training opportunities
- Management reporting
- Dedicated team who understands unique needs of school districts
- Timely responses and expert claims management
- Risk reduced for individual districts and eliminated need for large liability reserves
- Low overhead – portion of operating costs covered by investment earnings
- Prompt communication of regulatory news and issues
How it Works
The Pool is governed by Trustees from each member district. An executive advisory board counsels on the management of the Pool by providing policy and procedural recommendations. Claims are managed in-house. An internal CPA is responsible for the preparation of financial statements and investment of funds.
All school districts in the Puget Sound ESD region are eligible to join Puget Sound Unemployment Pool upon approval. Fees for new members are based on the size of the district’s payroll. Current members pay assessments only as required to maintain Pool Reserve Ratio. For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org P: (425) 917-7667