Enrollment Reporting



School districts report their Kindergarten through twelfth grade (K – 12) enrollment electronically to their ESD each month for the months of September through August. The Office of State Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) uses this enrollment to determine state funding. Enrollment data submitted must comply with all requirements as listed in Chapters 392-121 and 392-143 WAC (for basic education enrollment) and Chapters 392-122 and 392-172A WAC (for special education enrollment). Enrollment data is submitted by school, grade, headcount and full-time equivalent (FTE ). Determination of FTE is pursuant to WAC 392-121 and WAC 392-122.

Enrollment Reporting Handbook

Enrollment is also reported in several different categories:

Form P-223 – Basic Education
A student reported for basic education funding must meet the following standards on the count date:
1) The student must be an enrolled student of the district on the count date -WAC 392-121-106
2) The student must be enrolled in a course of study – WAC 392-121-107
3) The student must not meet any of the enrollment exclusions set forth in -WAC 392-121-108

Form P-223H – Special Education
Special education enrollment is reported for students meeting all of the following requirements on the count date:
1) The student is an enrolled student of the school district -WAC 392-121-106
2) The student has a current individualized education program (IEP) -WAC 392-172A-01100
3) The student has been reevaluated every three years -WAC 392-172A-03015
4) The student is currently receiving special education services

Form P-213, Report of Students Residing in Nonhigh Districts and Enrolled in High School Districts This is a year-end report. Form P-213 is used to summarize students who are enrolled in a grade in a district their resident district does not offer.

Transitional Bilingual Instruction
School districts report students enrolled in a state approved transitional bilingual instructional program (kindergarten through twelfth grade).

Exited Transitional Bilingual Instruction
Additional academic instruction support funding is provided for students who have exited from TBIP in the previous two years.

Vocational Education
Enhanced basic education funding is provided to school districts who report students enrolled in a state-approved vocational course pursuant to WAC 392-121-138.

Running Start Education
Running Start funding is provided pursuant to WAC 392-169-025 for school districts who report FTE for running start enrollment.

Alternative Learning Experience (ALE)
The definition of ALE is provided in WAC 392-121-182(3)(i) and is: 
“alternative learning experience” means a course, or for grades K-8, grade-level course work, that is a delivery method for the program of basic education and is (A) provided in whole or in part independently from a regular classroom setting or schedule, (B) supervised,  monitored, assessed, evaluated, and documented by a certificated teacher employed by the school district and (C) provided in accordance with a written student learning plan that is implemented per the school district’s policy and WAC 392-121-182.

Open Doors (Dropout Reengagement)
Open Doors programs per WAC 392-700 provide reengagement instruction for students that are: under the age of 21 but at least 16 as of September 1, have not met the high school graduation requirements of the LEA or have not earned a college degree, and are significantly behind in credits based on the student’s cohort graduation date as outlined in WAC 392-700-035(1)(c)

Optional School District Enrollment Reports

Forms P-223S, P-240, and E-525 are optional reports. If no report is filed, no funding is provided.

Form P-223S, Nonstandard School Year Enrollment
Districts use Form P-223S to claim basic education enrollment in lieu of attendance during the regular school year. School districts providing instruction during the months of July and August may claim basic education support on Form P-223S. See RCW 28A.150.420 and WAC 392-121-123 and 133 for rules and requirements.

Part-time Enrollment
Private school and home-based students have a right to participate in any course or receive any service that is available to public school students (RCW 28A.150.350 and WAC 392-134-010). School districts may claim state funding for services provided by the district to part-time private school and home-based students. However, the enrollment reporting for these students must be in accordance with state law and the appropriate rules.

1) Private School Students:
Private school students are limited to enroll in public school courses or services not available at the private school.  State funding for private school students is provided for the time the students are served directly by LEA school staff on the school grounds or on sites controlled by the LEA. Instruction provided by a private school cannot be reported.

2) Home-Based Students:
For enrollment reporting purposes, only the time that a home-based student is provided services by LEA staff on school grounds can be reported for state funding. The time the student is instructed or supervised by the parent cannot be reported. Home-based students may not be claimed for part-time enrollment in alternative learning experience programs.

Part-time enrollment can be reported as either a partial FTE on Form P-223 or the actual hours of services on Form P-240.

Form E-525, Home and Hospital Attendance
This is a year-end report. Form E-525 is used to report actual HH enrollments for the entire school year. Such enrollments are reported to claim state special education funding for HH services provided to students.