Puget Sound Educational Service District seeks an Education Advocate to assist neglected, disconnected, at-risk, out of school youth enrolled or requiring secondary education through an Open Door/Reengagement program and juveniles previously incarcerated in county detention centers or juvenile institutions to successfully transition back to community schools, vocational training, college, GED programs, or jobs. The position is based in Tacoma, Washington.
PSESD is one of nine regional educational agencies serving school districts and state approved charter and private schools in Washington. Serving over 39% of Washington’s K-12 public school students, our agency provides critical services designed to ensure that our students are ready to enter school, achieve at high levels in the K-12 system, and succeed in postsecondary endeavors. We are committed to becoming an Antiracist Multicultural Organization driven by equity in education. To learn more about PSESD, visit www.psesd.org/about-psesd.
In support of public health and Proclamation 21-14.1 (COVID Vaccination Requirement), employment with Puget Sound ESD requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination or an approved medical or religious accommodation. For additional information, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). There is no need for applicants to submit supporting documents. Individuals that are offered positions will be informed of the process to submit their documents at the time of offer.
- BA degree in Social Services, Juvenile Justice, Education or related field
- AA/AAS degree in related field with progressively responsible job-related experience may substitute for BA
- Work-related experience with incarcerated youth, youth on probation/parole, or youth in juvenile justice system.
- Experience in effectively managing large caseload sizes of out-of-school youth between ages of 16-21 or recruitment/outreach work within an OSPI Open Doors/Reengagement system.
- Experience in community outreach and recruitment strategies for identifying out of school and disconnected youth.
- Experience assisting incarcerated youth transition back to community-based K-12 education, vocation, or work programs.
- Experience in developing student centered referrals to social health service programs and/or other community resources that are culturally responsive.
- Experience in school record analysis for developing student driven course completion, graduation strategies, and high school and beyond plans.
- Experience in establishing strong supportive school relationship with principles, educators, office personnel, etc.
- Experience in proctoring basic skill assessment testing using TABE or CASAS instruments for tracking pre- and post-test data points.
Please note, applicants should describe their experience meeting minimum qualifications (and preferred qualifications if applicable) in cover letter and resume as part of the application and salary placement process. Unofficial transcripts may be required as part of a complete application.
Location: Pierce County - DSHS
Job Type: School Schedule – 180 days, 1440 hours
Salary: $24.79 – $28.74 Hourly (Salary Band C)
Department: Learning, Teaching, and Family Support – Dropout Prevention & Re-Engagement
We attract, retain, and motivate exceptional people with an equitable and competitive compensation package. Salary offers consider candidate qualifications, experience and internal equity.
We offer comprehensive benefits:
- Medical, dental, and vision
- 12 sick days
- 12 paid holidays
- Participation in Washington State Department of Retirement System
- Tax Sheltered Annuity Plan
- Subsidized ORCA card
- Free parking
- Electric Car Charging Stations (Renton office)
Open until filled; for best consideration, submit complete application by October 10. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for October 19 via videoconference.
Jobs are listed here for information only. To apply for a specific open position, you must be a registered applicant in the Fast Track Application System and apply specifically for each position for which you wish to be considered.
PSESD is committed to having a diverse workforce and encourages all candidates meeting the minimum qualifications to apply.
800 Oakesdale Avenue SW Renton, WA 98057 | www.psesd.org/careers