The After School Program Assistant supports the creation of community learning centers that provide academic enrichment opportunities during non-school hours for children. The after-school program helps students meet state and local student standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and math; offers students a broad array of enrichment activities that can complement their regular academic programs.
After School Program Assistants provide engaging academic and enrichment programming which empowers youth and assists them in academic skill building. Instructors will work collaboratively to design, plan, and deliver youth development lessons. The program is looking for instructors to creatively plan and lead activities in the following areas:
- Academic tutoring
- Leadership development
- Sports and recreation
- Teaching card/board games
- Environment education
- Computers and technology
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
- Arts Education, visual arts, crafts, drama, dance
- Cooking/culinary arts
- Social and emotional learning
- Service learning
- Project or place based learning activities
Why work at the PSESD?
- Choices to work in Elementary/Middle School sites located within Kent School District
- Flexible State Work Study positions available at all sites
- Great work opportunity for those on a Youth Development, Education, Social Work, or Recreation, Math, Science or World Languages as career path
- We provide on the job professional development opportunities on many topics: social emotional learning, small and large group facilitation, curriculum, and lesson plan development, dismantling racism and other forms of oppression, and building positive relationships with students and team members
- Flexible work schedules
- Opportunity to make a positive difference in a youth’s life
- Hourly Wage: $14.92
PSESD is one of nine regional educational agencies serving school districts and state approved charter and private schools in Washington. Serving over 39% of Washington’s K-12 public school students, our agency provides critical services designed to ensure that our students are ready to enter school, achieve at high levels in the K-12 system, and succeed in postsecondary endeavors. We are committed to becoming an Antiracist Multicultural Organization driven by equity in education. To learn more about PSESD, visit www.psesd.org/about-psesd.
- Strong desire to help youth. Applicants should be created, organized positive, flexible, excellent communicators, reliable and consistent, and able to work as a team to develop curriculum/lesson plans and independently leading activities, reflective of their work and with a growth mindset
- Experience delivering youth development programs
- Applicants should be creative, organized, positive, flexible, excellent communicators, reliable and consistent, self-starters and able to work as a team to develop curriculum/lesson plans AND independently leading, reflective of their work and with a growth mind set enrichment activities, tutoring or homework activities with small groups in a classroom setting
- Speaking a language other than English is a plus
- Work schedules are created with staff and site coordinators input. Days and times vary by location. Available weekdays between 2:00-6:00pm and if school has morning program prior to 9:00am. Schedules ranges from 6-20 hours per week. Candidates must be available at least 2 days per week to be considered
- Programs are virtual and/or in-person, so candidates need to be local. You will need access to computer and internet
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance Required
Locations: East Hill Elementary, Mill Creek Middle School, Neely O'Brien Elementary School, River Ridge Elementary School, Springbrook Elementary School
Job Type: Hourly, on-call. This is a non-regular classification and is not eligible for benefits.
Department: Expanded Learning Program
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Celeste Wojdyla (Cwojdyla@psesd.org).
State Work Study students: Contact your school’s Financial Aid office to see if you qualify for State Work Study and include your eligibility for State Work Study in your cover letter.
PSESD is committed to having a diverse workforce and encourages all candidates meeting the minimum qualifications to apply.
800 Oakesdale Avenue SW Renton, WA 98057 | www.psesd.org/careers