- High School
LIT (Leaders in Training) High School Internship 2018-19
Puget Sound Educational Service District (PSESD) is an educational organization that works to eliminate the opportunity gap by leading with racial equity. We are seeking up to twelve high school interns to help us accomplish this goal. We believe that listening to young people is a critical part of our racial equity work in education. You can find more information about PSESD at www.psesd.org.
PSESD Internships are currently being developed for summer 2019. Interns may be placed in the following departments:
- Communications and Public Relations
- Early Warning Systems
- Human Resources and Organizational Development
- Learning, Teaching, and Family Support
- Office of the Superintendent
- Workers Compensation Trust and Unemployment Pool
High school students are invited to learn with us and influence the work of the organization into the future. Interns will be part of LIT (Leaders in Training), and participate in learning and leadership sessions with other interns at various KCLS locations prior to starting their internship with a PSESD department. Internship projects might include:
- Job shadowing
- Learning communications basics (photography, design, web management, marketing)
- Assisting with risk management projects
- Developing student marketing materials for college and career readiness
- Bringing youth voice to a School Safety Summit
- Creating instructional videos
- Giving your insights on materials and resources that schools use
We are seeking high school student who:
- Are curious and passionate about making change in public education
- Enjoy collaboration & working with others
- Are eager to learn how decisions are made in educational organizations
- Attend any public school in King and Pierce counties
Interns are compensated $15/hour and need to have transportation to meeting locations and worksite. Internships are held at PSESD (800 Oakesdale Avenue SW, Renton, 98057).
A transportation stipend of $100 is provided.
Students will need:
- I-9 Form (Proof of eligibility to work in United States)
- Social Security Card (agency requirement)
A parent or legal guardian will need to give written permission for a student to participate, and a PSESD representative will help make sure all policies are followed.
We are excited to offer this opportunity, but cannot guarantee an internship since there may be more people interested than positions available.
March 31: Internship application deadline
April 1 - 5: Interviews at PSESD
April 6: Interviews at Seattle Public Library, Delridge
April 6: Intern selection
April 8 - 19 Hiring paperwork completed
April 20: Orientation and LIT Group Learning Session 1 (KCLS Skyway, 10:30AM – 1PM)
May 4: LIT Group Learning Session 2 (KCLS Renton, 10:30AM – 1PM)
May 18: LIT Group Learning Session 3 (KCLS Kent, 10:30AM – 3PM)
June 8: LIT Group Learning Session 4 (TBD)
June 22: LIT Group Learning Session 5 (TBD)
July – August: PSESD Internship (10-25 hours/week, depending on the internship)
Please apply by March 31.
Contact Cassandra O’Francia (firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-917-7846) with any questions.