Puget Sound Educational Service District is seeking a diverse group of representatives who are committed to racial equity, to consider becoming members of the PSESD Board of Directors.
Puget Sound Educational Service District (PSESD) is one of nine regional educational agencies serving school districts, as well as state approved private, tribal compact and charter schools, in Washington state. Educational Service Districts improve the quality, equity, and efficiency of educational programs through partnerships with K-12 education, early learning, higher education, and public and private organizations. Puget Sound Educational Service District is committed to becoming an Anti-Racist Multicultural Organization in order to eliminate the Opportunity Gap. We share our work in equity and inclusion with our partners, educators and advocates throughout the state and nation to ensure all students reach their full potential. Together, we:
- Save schools money through regional efficiencies, centralized services, pooled resources
- Improve the effectiveness of educational programs
- Deliver specialized services otherwise unavailable
- Provide leadership for innovative and effective educational practices
- Build networks and partnerships among districts and other agencies
- Link schools with regional, state and national educational resources
Puget Sound Educational Service District is committed to supporting all with whom we share transformational relationships in reaching personal and organizational success. The agency is an innovative and responsive partner providing essential local services to leverage resources and strengths to make sure students are ready to enter school, achieve at high levels in the K-12 system, and succeed in postsecondary endeavors.
The Puget Sound Educational Service District (PSESD) Board of Directors is comprised of nine elected members from various areas in our region. PSESD board members are elected by board members of the 35 school districts in our region. Four of the nine positions are open for election this year. Filing for candidacy begins in September, and new board members will be sworn in this coming January, 2024.
We are seeking community members who are committed to eliminating opportunity gaps and leading with racial equity, participating in monthly board meetings to approve financials and policies regarding the operations of the agency, connecting PSESD with educational leaders and community members, and ultimately ensuring the PSESD achieves its End: Success for Each Child and Eliminate the Opportunity Gap by Leading With Racial Equity. Please also see the Board job description. Board members should embody the PSESD Antiracist Leadership Competencies of cultural proficiency, racial equity advocacy, racial equity mindset and living into transformational values.
This is a volunteer (unpaid) position. There is no financial expectation from you as a board member. Board members will participate in monthly board meetings and periodic committee meetings and work sessions.
- Board members are reimbursed travel expenses for attending board meetings and other official meetings of the board
- Board members can be reimbursed for child care expenses in order to attend meetings of the board
- Board members are provided professional development opportunities per policy GP 10.
- We recommend interested candidates review board policies (GP series, BMD series, EL series and 1005 and 1005P all found at: PSESD Policies - Puget Sound Educational Service District 121
- District 2 - Seattle (part), Bainbridge Island, Vashon Island, and North, Central, West Seattle Census Tracts/Neighborhoods as follows:
- District 4: Lake Washington, Northshore, Riverview, Skykomish Census Tracts/Neighborhoods as follows:
- District 6: Auburn, Dieringer, Enumclaw, Puyallup, Snoqualmie Valley, Sumner-Bonney Lake, Tahoma
- District 8: Penninsula, Tacoma, University Place
Elections for Educational Service Districts are run by the Washington State School Directors Association (WSSDA). To run for an ESD Board of Director position, candidates must file a Declaration of Candidacy form online with WSSDA between September 1-16. Forms will be available online through the Washington State School Directors Association beginning September 1, 2023. For more information about filing, please visit https://wssda.org/about-us/elections/educational-service-district-elections/. For more information about serving on the PSESD board, contact Superintendent, John Welch at email@example.com.