Puget Sound Educational Service District’s Math Specialists support districts onsite. The specialists are contracted to school districts for a specific number of days annually to help coordinate math curriculum and instructional efforts. Services include professional development and coaching, instructional strategies and curriculum-specific training and coordination of curriculum, assessment, and instruction alignment work.
- Meet with you and your math leaders to identify needs as well as areas of interest such as Common Core Content, the Standards for Mathematical Practice, high leverage mathematics teaching practices, and teaching mathematics with and for social justice
- Conduct professional development sessions targeted at identified needs and areas of interest which are informed by research, on-going, and job-embedded
- Support math coaches in classroom coaching, debriefing and leading PLCs
- Support math leaders in conducting district wide instructional materials reviews to consider the match of district needs, research informed best-practices, and available instructional materials
- Support math coaches and teachers in crafting and leveraging an assessment system that utilizes assessment resources already in place, including summative, interim/benchmark and formative assessments
- Assist in collaborations within district between math teachers and other departments such as Special Education, English Language Learning, Blended Learning or content areas such as Science.
This is only a partial list. We are eager to work with you to support your students and teachers as we continue implementation of the Common Core and work to close the opportunity gap in mathematics.
To learn more about Mathematics Support and for resources, please visit our CORElaborate Mathematics page!
Math Endorsement Academy
PSESD has partnered with Seattle University to create a Mathematics Endorsement Academy. This provides teachers the opportunity to add a supplemental, secondary math endorsement to their teaching credential. Through Washington state legislative funds, scholarships are available to cover the entire cost of the program. This is an intensive, 20 credit post-baccalaureate academy that is completed in a one year period.